Improving CSS Perfomance

Some resources, articles and tips which can help you to improve CSS performance

  1. embed Completed

    Let's Do A Bunch of Simple Stuff to Make Websites Faster

    Usually, that’s not the problem with slow websites. That’s the 20% in the 80/20 rule. The other 80% is front-end-related stuff. In the vast majority of situations, doing any of the following things would take less effort and have a far greater impact on performance than CSS optimizations: Remove one resource (JavaScript file, CSS file or image) from the page (i.e. concatenate them). Ensure that the resources are compressed and Gzip’ed. Ensure that your assets have expires headers that are set far out. Host assets on a content delivery network (CDN).

    Edit Remove Move
  2. embed Completed

    GitHub's CSS Performance

    A talk on some problems solved related to CSS Performance at GitHub. The talk was given at CSS Dev Conference in Honolulu, HI 2012. I recorded the presentation from my laptop and posted it here https://vimeo.com/54990931 I just wouldn’t expect huge gains on an “average” website. Remember that for the GitHub “dif” pages in question here, the developers were able to remove thousands and thousands of elements and simplify kinda nasty selectors (such as tag-qualified classes) to achieve their 37% increase in rendering speed. Most of us aren’t in that position.

    Edit Remove Move
  3. article Completed

    How to Speed Up CSS Rendering

    When coding CSS, one of the best ways to ensure your code runs smoothly on older browsers and slow computers is to write your CSS efficiently for browser rendering, this way your site takes less resource and memory from the user’s computer and therefore runs smoother.Browser vendors constantly trying to make rendering faster, the faster pages load the happier people are using their products. Google is always on a crusade to make the web faster. Mozilla also has several articles about best practices.In this posting we cover some of the big ideas they present, and then discuss the practicalities of it all. When coding CSS, one of the best ways to ensure your code runs smoothly on older browsers and slow computers is to write your CSS efficiently for browser rendering, this way your site takes less resource and memory from the user's computer and therefore runs smoother.

    Edit Remove Move
  4. article Completed

    Optimize browser rendering - Make the Web Faster

    Once resources have been downloaded to the client, the browser still needs to load, interpret, and render HTML, CSS, and JavaScript code. By simply formatting your code and pages in ways that exploit the characteristics of current browsers, you can enhance performance on the client side.

    Edit Remove Move
  5. article Completed

    Efficiently Rendering CSS

    I admittedly don't think about this idea very often... how efficient is the CSS that we write, in terms of how quickly the browser can render it? This is definitely something that browser vendors care about (the faster pages load the happier people are using their products). Mozilla has an article about best practices. Google is also always on a crusade to make the web faster. They also have an article about it. Let's cover some of the bi ideas they present, and then discuss the practicalities of it all.

    Edit Remove Move
  6. article Completed

    Top 5 Mistakes of Massive CSS

    Last week, Stoyan Stefanov and I spoke at Velocity Conference about optimizing massive CSS. We talked about our experiences optimizing large-scale sites like Facebook and Yahoo!, and we discussed our findings regarding the CSS efficiency of the Alexa Top 1000 websites. What is the state of the internet regarding CSS performance? Kind of sad. We aren’t getting a lot of the basics right, and when we look at the more advanced techniques, there are some spectacular examples of what-not-to-do. Why do we care about CSS performance? As Stoyan talks about in the beginning of the video, it blocks progressive rendering and it is very difficult to auto-minify.

    Edit Remove Move
  7. embed Completed

    3 Steps to Make Better & Faster Frontends

    3 Steps to Make Better & Faster Frontends with SCSS/Sass, Compass and Lemonade for CSS sprites. I gave this talk at Railscamp Germany 4.

    Edit Remove Move

Continue learning by following more paths or create your own. Join for FREE

By clicking 'Get Started Free' you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy